Friday, March 20, 2009

Food Friday!!

I have to say talking about food, dreaming about food and eating food of course... is about the only thing these days that keeps me from panicking about the upcoming dates, like Oh, Oklahoma fast approaching on the horizon at this pace it is likely to pass me by... but enough of that metaphor.

Healthy food can and often does get a bit monotonous, we have our go to meals and so on and so forth - at this moment Chicken Souvlaki for some reasons comes to mind as my go to meal, that or Pad Thai. If I could get my single self together and convince my roommate to eat meat - I know, I know the pseudo vegan should not be doing that... this is what we'd be eating and we will be eating on Monday night.

Slow Cooker Lasagna

1 lb ground lean beef or chicken, turkey, tofu crumbles, tempeh or whatever you want to use
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 cups veggies - mushrooms, eggplant (sliced or smalled diced), zucchini, peppers
1 bag frozen spinach
Seasoning - basil, oregano, thyme - whatever you would like to add
1 (29 oz) jar of organic "spaghetti"sauce - I use whatever is on sale at WF
1 package of whole wheat/spelt/alternative lasagna noodles - NOT PRE COOKED
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese (I detest cottage cheese) - OR Tofu Ricotta (firm tofu, raw cashews and nutritional yeast)
2 cups mozzarella cheese or TEESE

Note: The veggies will cook down, so understand that in relation to what kind of texture you would like.

Cook the meat (if using a veggie option - no need, though I would steam my tempeh to get the "flavour" out of it), onion, and garlic. Combine the remaining ingredients - the sauce and veggies

In the slow cooker, spoon a layer of the meat mixture onto the bottom of the slow cooker. Add a double of layer of the uncooked lasagna noodles. Break to fit the noodles into the slow cooker if needed. Top the noodles with a portion of the ricotta and mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layering of sauce, noodles, and cheese until all the ingredients are used. Cover and cook on low heat in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours, or as I do, text your roommate or significant other to put it in the slow cooker and plug it in on their way to work, so that you when you return home from yoga can eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment