Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back in the Swing of Things

Sorry for failing at the Mon, Wed, Friday posting, I'm still trying to get back on my lead weighted feet again. With things being sub zero, snowy and crunchy in this part of the world the only blessing as of late has been the time change. Thankfully it's light at night, so I'm not having to brave the -5C or colder that it has been.

With all that said, much too has happened, you'll find me in the next 20 weeks in Oklahoma and in San Francisco for a half and full marathon respectively and if I don't die, the Victoria Marathon in October might be the next step on my way to warming up to doing the Knee Knocker in Vancouver or some other 50km distance - I mean while I can say what's the extra 8km, it's still 8km longer.

On to something I love more than running and seeing the buds of spring on the trail or the setting sun through the railway bridge - FOOD! Two recipes this week, one today and one tomorrow.

Walnut, Blueberry Bran Pancakes (Runner's World) - ALTERED
1 1/2 cups Vanilla Hemp Milk*
1 cup Large Flake Oats - none of the instant/quick stuff
3/4 cup Spelt or Buckwheat flour - I used spelt
3/4 cup - 1cup Dried Blueberries or Raspberries
1/2 cup chopped Walnuts - any other nut could be used - if you wanted to use Dried Pineapple, why not then use Macadamia nuts?
1/4 cup Oat Bran
1 T Baking Powder
2 T Agave
1 tsp salt
2 Organic eggs (Free Range of course!) or 2 Flax Eggs

Pour milk over oats and set aside. Combine ingredients flour through to baking powder. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Add the eggs to oats and then combine with the remaining ingredients. Spoon 1/2 or 1 cup serving - I just use a measuring cup into a greased skillet, cook as you would a normal pancake.

This recipes freezes really well. I ended up taking them to work and fishing them out mid morning - a quick zap in the micro and then into the toaster oven. I spread a little vegan margarine, but blueberry preserve or a raw nut butter without salt would be just as good.

*Milk while recommend is actually high in hormones and not beneficial to women, so unless you're going to splurge on the Hormone free, Organic stuff opt out - Check out THRIVE by Brendan Frazier

No comments:

Post a Comment