Friday, April 17, 2009

Food Friday

We always hear that fish is good for you (obviously if you're pregnant - mercury levels are a concern - but that aside) and it is actually a very easy week night option. If you have fresh fish available to you - it can be even cheaper than traditional protein sources. I have the benefit of getting fresh fish from my local WF. If you are concerned about fishing practices, mercury levels, sustainability and such like check out http://www.seachoice.org/. So then how to cook your fish - barbecue, saute, bread, bake and so on. Personally I love this way of cooking fish because I don't have a grill and well I tend to burn my fish when I coat it and fry it.

For one person (me) I do the following:

1/2 to 1 lemon sliced,
1 shallot sliced
fronds of dill, fennel or whatever you have - a mild herb like tarragon would also work.
a drizzle of olive oil or grape seed oil - you could use butter if you wanted to.

On a piece of parchment paper large enough to fully cover/encase your fish, place the fish in the center, and then layer the lemon, shallot, herb and drizzle oil and salt/pepper then bring the lengthwise sides together and fold over, accordion folding tightly until you get to the fillet, then carefully flip the fillet over and fold the ends of the paper in, and place the fillet down - ends under. Then bake in a 375 oven for about 10 minutes -give or take - sorry - it's one of those things, everyone's fish will be different thickness and so on... serve with whatever your heart desires - mustard greens are on my menu this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment