Friday, February 27, 2009

Vegan Vendredi

Vegan Fridays doesn't quite have the same wonderful alliterative quality to it. Veganism is one of those taboo subjects for many, especially runners who believe that we are best served by animal protein. I am going to say I'm on the fence - as post vegan (2 years) I felt substantially better as a vegan, however, it is a time consuming lifestyle for one person with a 8-4 job, 2 hours of commuting and post grad part time education on their plate.

When I have time I do make this as a way to use up whatever I've got going a little "sprouty."

1 potato
1 sweet potato
1 can rinsed chickpeas
1/2 yellow onion diced
1/4-1/2 c. hot water
2 T Indian curry paste

Combine the above, place on a cookie sheet and cook at 400-450F until tender - you do not need to grease your cookie sheet - if you're concerned about sticking a Silpat sheet is a wonderful investment for your kitchen. Add peas, raw cashews, chopped tomatoes or anything else you would like, spinach would be good too. Heat until warmed through, toss with cilantro. Serve with homemade roti, or you can purchase roti at large supermarkets. I normally have mine with mango chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment