Saturday, February 28, 2009

Confession #1 of Thousands

I don't like to walk for exercise. There is something about it that conflicts with my ADHA sense of exercise. I walk, don't misread me, I walk everywhere I can - long distances, but it's not for exercise, it's for all those other reasons, see the sights, get fresh air, window shop, see people, mumble my latest and greatest book plot to myself and so on. Many times it's not even that grand, rather it's cold and the next bus will be 20 minutes, so walk and stay warm or play Suduko on my Blackberry and wait for the bus.

So for all of you who feel my frustration and the idea of doing the walk for 1 minute, run for X minutes here is a solution from the latest Runner's World - that in essence not only makes it easier for you with short attention spans and an urge to move, but also can be parlayed into speed work.

Even if you aren't a beginner and a seasoned runner - it gives you something intentional to do on those days that are just too cold, icy or dangerous in any which way to get out there.

It does work best on a treadmill:

7 minutes at 5.5mph (or faster or slower), then increase in .2mph speed for every step down in time, so then:
6 minutes at 5.7
5 minutes at 5.9 and so on.
Not only does it get you moving (aka: jogging/running) more then you would before, there is also at least for me a greater sense of time moving along. When it's all done you've 28 minutes and covered somewhere around 3 miles, that's just one set!

Photo: http://flickr.com/photos/66535891@N00/2701310395/

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah i can retain my anonymity! anyway. to reiterate: even your work out formula comes out sounding like a recipe!

    ReplyDelete